Connecting African Malaria Researchers: MIMCom
Initially targeting one area of opportunity in 1997, NLM played a critical role with NIH in the Multilateral Initiative on Malaria (MIM), providing enhanced access to the Internet and to medical literature for malaria research sites in Africa where there was little or no access. Eventually comprising 27 sites in 14 countries, MIMCom was sustained by the research funders and partners at each site.
MIMCom facilitated malaria research in:
- antimalarial drug resistance
- pathogenesis and immunology
- entomology and vector studies
- natural products and drug development, and
- health systems and social sciences.
Interview with Prof. Fred Binka
Interview with Dr. Isabella Quakyi